Monday, January 21, 2013

Am I a "runner"?

Shortly before my wife ran her first half-marathon, she recounted a conversation she had with someone who asked her if she was a runner.  As someone who started running via a Couch to 5K program earlier in 2012 and who till this day doesn't like running a whole lot, she paused and thought to herself for a moment and didn't know how to respond.

So... what's the definition of a runner? Do you have to log a certain number of miles per week? Do you have to run at a certain pace? Do you even have to like it???

To me, running lies within the spirit of the person. It's all about the courage to take that first step forward, by whatever means. It's about intent, rather than results. So, in my opinion, whether you walk or sprint, go around the block or do an ultra, love it or even loathe it, you are a runner. Period.

Thanks to a friend, I read a quote from Martin Luther King Jr today which stated, "If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

How appropriate not only to running, but to life in general.

Amen.

P.S. My response to my wife was, "Of course you're a runner!" Yes she is... despite the fact she still doesn't like it a whole lot ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment